You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!
Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.
Do not worry we don't spam!
Post by : Badri Ariffin
South Korea and the United States have agreed to significantly shorten their annual joint military exercises, reducing the duration of the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) drills from 11 days to five days. The move follows US President Donald Trump's order to substantially reduce American participation in the exercises.
The joint military drills, which began on August 17, will now end on August 21, instead of the previously planned August 27, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) and a US Department of Defense official.
The two allies have also agreed to scale back some field-based military training. Several live-training activities have reportedly been cancelled or replaced with computer simulations.
The changes were made following a US proposal to adjust both the duration and scope of the annual military exercises. South Korea's JCS said the adjustments would still maintain the key objectives of the drills and ensure military readiness.
South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies were also moving to cancel the second phase of the exercise, which was expected to focus on counterattack operations following the initial defensive phase.
However, officials said discussions were still underway over the exact scope of the remaining field manoeuvre training.
A US Department of Defense official said the exercise and related live-training events had been substantially reduced. Some activities have been cancelled, while others have been shifted to simulated training.
The official added that the changes would preserve essential readiness and training objectives.
The decision comes just days after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in the US role in the South Korea-US military exercises.
Trump cited his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un while calling for the reduction.
Analysts believe Trump's decision could have several objectives, including encouraging South Korea to move faster on its promised US investments under a trade agreement, shifting attention toward other international challenges and creating space for renewed diplomacy with North Korea.
Ellen Kim, a senior fellow at the Korea Economic Institute of America, described Trump's approach as an attempt to achieve several objectives at the same time.
North Korea has once again criticised the joint military exercises, calling the United States and South Korea "warmongers" and accusing them of increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
North Korea's state news agency KCNA reported that Pyongyang would continue exercising what it considers its right to self-defence against military threats from Washington and Seoul.
However, North Korea's latest response did not directly mention Trump's order or the decision to scale back the drills.
Analyst Hong Min of the Korea Institute for National Unification said the fact that Pyongyang issued a commentary instead of a statement from a senior official or a military response could indicate that North Korea wants to keep diplomatic options open.
The reduction in the military exercises comes amid reports that the Trump administration is exploring another meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump had asked aides to work toward arranging an in-person meeting with Kim as early as this autumn.
The report also said Trump has discussed the possibility of meeting Kim during a potential November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Shenzhen, China.
The report has not been independently verified by Reuters, and the White House had not immediately responded to requests for comment about its approach to North Korea or the military exercises.
Trump said on Monday that Kim had responded to his recent outreach, although he did not disclose details about the communication.
The changes to the South Korea-US military drills come as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on August 19 and 20.
Wang Yi is expected to hold talks on regional security issues, including developments surrounding the Korean Peninsula. His visit adds another layer of significance to the timing of the changes in the US-South Korea military exercises.
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said on Tuesday that the Ulchi exercises are defensive in nature and that Seoul has no intention of attacking North Korea or deliberately increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun also told a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday that South Korean and US officials had not been aware of Trump's order in advance.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to strengthen the readiness and coordination of South Korean and US forces. North Korea has routinely criticised the drills, describing them as preparations for an invasion, while Seoul and Washington maintain that the exercises are defensive and necessary to respond to potential military threats from Pyongyang.
Lamborghini Catches Fire on Singapore's ECP, Causing Heavy Traffic
A Lamborghini caught fire on Singapore's ECP, causing heavy traffic and bus delays. No injuries were
Bangkok Airport Duty-Free Area Flooded by Pipe Burst
A burst water pipe flooded the duty-free shopping area at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on July 16,
Nine Monks Killed in Thailand Pickup Truck Tragedy
An 11-year-old boy driving a pickup truck crashed into monks during a pilgrimage in northeastern Tha
Anwar Congratulates Xi on CPC's 105th Anniversary
Malaysia reaffirms strong ties with China as PM Anwar Ibrahim sends a congratulatory letter to Presi
Thai Agriculture Team Reviews 2026 Farm Development Plans
Agriculture Ministry officials inspected livestock and organic rice projects in Nakhon Sawan to moni
Thailand, Canada Boost Ties in PM-Level Phone Talks
Thailand and Canada agreed to strengthen trade, security, OECD cooperation and ASEAN-Canada FTA talk