Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Senegal Walk-Off in AFCON Final Sparks Chaos, FIFA Condemns Incident

Senegal Walk-Off in AFCON Final Sparks Chaos, FIFA Condemns Incident

Post by : Meena Ariff

Senegal’s shocking decision to leave the field in protest during the Africa Cup of Nations final against host nation Morocco has drawn strong criticism from FIFA. The team went on to win the title 1-0, but the end of the match was marred by chaos and controversy.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino condemned the actions of Senegal’s players, coaching staff, and some fans, calling the behavior “unacceptable” for an international final. He wrote on Instagram that the scenes “must be condemned and never repeated.”

The final, held in Rabat, turned tense in stoppage time of the 0-0 match. Senegal appeared to have scored a potential title-winning goal, but it was disallowed after the referee ruled a foul. Minutes later, Morocco was awarded a penalty after a video review, judging that star forward Brahim Diaz had been pulled down by a Senegal defender during a corner kick.

In response, Senegal coach Pape Thiaw led his players off the field to prevent the penalty from being taken. This caused a 15-minute halt in the match. Senegal fans clashed with police in the stadium, adding to the chaos.

“The act of leaving the field is unacceptable, and violence cannot be tolerated in football,” Infantino said. “Teams must compete on the pitch and respect the match officials. Anything less puts the essence of football at risk.”

When play resumed, Brahim Diaz’s penalty attempt was weak and easily saved by Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, in what has been called one of the worst penalties in football history. Diaz later apologized to Moroccan fans on social media.

Extra time followed, and Senegal secured victory with a powerful goal from Pape Gueye in the 94th minute, claiming their first Africa Cup of Nations title. Infantino congratulated Senegal on the win but stressed the responsibility of players and teams to set a positive example for fans around the world.

Morocco’s football federation, led by influential official Fouzi Lekjaa, announced it would take legal action with CAF and FIFA over Senegal’s walk-off. The federation stated that the incident significantly affected the normal flow of the match and the players’ performance.

CAF also described the events as unacceptable and confirmed it was reviewing all footage before deciding on disciplinary measures. The Senegal coach, Thiaw, could face severe sanctions, though it is unclear if they would affect future African competitions or FIFA World Cup participation.

Morocco coach Walid Regragui called the incident “shameful” and said it painted a negative image of African football for the world.

Jan. 20, 2026 3:27 p.m. 503

#Global News #Sports News

Most Americans Say Trump Profited Improperly, Poll Finds
Aug. 19, 2026 3:58 p.m.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll finds 63% of Americans call Trump crypto profits inappropriate, while 69% say business interests influence his decisions
Read More
BKE Accident: SBS Transit Bus Driver Among Three Hurt
Aug. 19, 2026 3:38 p.m.
Three people, including an SBS Transit bus driver, were taken to hospital after a multi-vehicle crash on the BKE in Singapore on Aug 19
Read More
RM1.74m Jewellery Stolen in Genting Highlands Heist
Aug. 19, 2026 3:30 p.m.
Three armed men robbed a goldsmith at SkyAvenue, Genting Highlands, stealing 81 jewellery pieces worth RM1.74 million before fleeing in a BMW
Read More
Pakistan SC Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer to Private Hospital
Aug. 19, 2026 3:18 p.m.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court has ordered Imran Khan’s transfer from jail to a private Islamabad hospital, citing concerns over his health and safety
Read More
Philippines School Shooting Leaves Student and Gunman Dead
Aug. 19, 2026 3:08 p.m.
A student shot and killed a classmate at a school in Zamboanga, Philippines, before taking his own life. Two others were injured in the attack
Read More
LandSpace Successfully Lands Zhuque-3 Rocket Booster in China
Aug. 19, 2026 1:14 p.m.
LandSpace successfully lands its Zhuque-3 booster, marking a major step for China’s reusable rocket technology and commercial space industry
Read More
Kuwait Customs Thwart Gold Smuggling Attempts by Two Indian Travelers
Aug. 19, 2026 12:50 p.m.
Kuwait Customs intercepted two Indian flyers to Ahmedabad, seizing 855g of 24-karat gold hidden in their accessories.
Read More
July Cargo Volume at Port of Los Angeles Hits Second-Highest Record
Aug. 19, 2026 11:38 a.m.
The Port of Los Angeles recorded 960,464 TEUs in July, driven by strong imports and rising consumer demand.
Read More
South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions
Aug. 19, 2026 11:23 a.m.
South Korea and the US have cut joint military drills from 11 days to five, reducing field training after Trump ordered a major US participation cut
Read More