Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

US Strike on Pacific Boat Sparks Outrage After Survivors’ Killing

US Strike on Pacific Boat Sparks Outrage After Survivors’ Killing

Post by : Rameen Ariff

A new strike by US forces on an alleged drug-trafficking boat in the eastern Pacific Ocean has killed four people, adding to growing criticism over Washington’s aggressive counter-narcotics operations. The latest incident comes as the campaign led by President Donald Trump’s administration has already resulted in more than 87 deaths, raising serious questions about military conduct and accountability.

According to US Southern Command, the operation targeted a vessel “operated by a Designated Terrorist Organization” that was carrying illicit narcotics along a known drug-smuggling route. A video released on X showed a fast-moving multi-engine boat moments before it was struck, bursting into flames.

This latest strike follows an earlier and far more controversial incident from early September, when US forces hit the wreckage of a boat that had already been destroyed, killing two survivors who were struggling to stay alive. That operation has triggered intense political debate in Washington, with lawmakers calling it one of the most disturbing military actions they have ever reviewed.

A senior Democratic lawmaker, Representative Jim Himes, who saw extended classified footage on Thursday, said it clearly showed a US attack on “shipwrecked sailors” who had no means of escape or threat capability. He described the scene as “deeply troubling,” emphasizing that the two men were in visible distress and posed no “imminent threat.”

Republican Representative Don Bacon echoed similar concerns, stating on CNN that military rules do not allow the killing of survivors unless they present an immediate danger. “These two people were trying to survive,” he said, adding that they did not meet the threshold of an imminent threat.

However, some lawmakers defended the operation. Republican Senator Tom Cotton maintained that all strikes conducted on September 2 were “lawful” and “necessary,” insisting that the two survivors were attempting to flip the damaged boat to rejoin the fight and continue transporting narcotics.

Both the White House and the Pentagon have attempted to shield Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth from direct blame, pointing instead to Admiral Frank Bradley, the commander overseeing the mission. Bradley reportedly told lawmakers that Hegseth did not order the killing of all crew members, though critics argue that ultimate responsibility still lies with the defense secretary.

The Trump administration maintains that the United States is effectively at war with “narco-terrorist networks,” justifying the deployment of the world’s largest aircraft carrier and additional military resources to the Caribbean. Officials claim these assets are meant to strengthen counter-narcotics missions.

The aggressive US military posture has intensified tensions across the region. Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro has accused Washington of using drug-trafficking concerns as a cover to push for “regime change” in Caracas, warning that the situation could escalate further.

As investigations continue and political divisions widen, the latest strike has once again placed America’s counter-drug operations under scrutiny, raising urgent questions about rules of engagement and the ethical boundaries of warfare at sea.

Dec. 5, 2025 10:45 a.m. 432

#world news #Global

Most Americans Say Trump Profited Improperly, Poll Finds
Aug. 19, 2026 3:58 p.m.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll finds 63% of Americans call Trump crypto profits inappropriate, while 69% say business interests influence his decisions
Read More
BKE Accident: SBS Transit Bus Driver Among Three Hurt
Aug. 19, 2026 3:38 p.m.
Three people, including an SBS Transit bus driver, were taken to hospital after a multi-vehicle crash on the BKE in Singapore on Aug 19
Read More
RM1.74m Jewellery Stolen in Genting Highlands Heist
Aug. 19, 2026 3:30 p.m.
Three armed men robbed a goldsmith at SkyAvenue, Genting Highlands, stealing 81 jewellery pieces worth RM1.74 million before fleeing in a BMW
Read More
Pakistan SC Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer to Private Hospital
Aug. 19, 2026 3:18 p.m.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court has ordered Imran Khan’s transfer from jail to a private Islamabad hospital, citing concerns over his health and safety
Read More
Philippines School Shooting Leaves Student and Gunman Dead
Aug. 19, 2026 3:08 p.m.
A student shot and killed a classmate at a school in Zamboanga, Philippines, before taking his own life. Two others were injured in the attack
Read More
LandSpace Successfully Lands Zhuque-3 Rocket Booster in China
Aug. 19, 2026 1:14 p.m.
LandSpace successfully lands its Zhuque-3 booster, marking a major step for China’s reusable rocket technology and commercial space industry
Read More
Kuwait Customs Thwart Gold Smuggling Attempts by Two Indian Travelers
Aug. 19, 2026 12:50 p.m.
Kuwait Customs intercepted two Indian flyers to Ahmedabad, seizing 855g of 24-karat gold hidden in their accessories.
Read More
July Cargo Volume at Port of Los Angeles Hits Second-Highest Record
Aug. 19, 2026 11:38 a.m.
The Port of Los Angeles recorded 960,464 TEUs in July, driven by strong imports and rising consumer demand.
Read More
South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions
Aug. 19, 2026 11:23 a.m.
South Korea and the US have cut joint military drills from 11 days to five, reducing field training after Trump ordered a major US participation cut
Read More