Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Paramount Escalates Warner Bros Bid, Files Lawsuit Over Netflix Deal

Paramount Escalates Warner Bros Bid, Files Lawsuit Over Netflix Deal

Post by : Meena Ariff

Paramount has intensified its takeover push for Warner Bros by filing a lawsuit and taking new steps to convince investors that its all-cash offer is superior to Netflix’s proposed merger. The company, led by CEO David Ellison, says its $108.7 billion bid offers greater value and fewer complications than Netflix’s cash-and-stock deal.

As part of its strategy, Paramount announced plans to nominate its own directors to Warner Bros’ board, marking one of its strongest moves yet in the high-stakes contest for the media giant. Warner Bros owns some of the world’s most valuable entertainment assets, including major film and television studios and a vast content library featuring the Harry Potter franchise and DC Comics universe.

Despite Paramount’s efforts, Warner Bros recently rejected the latest offer and advised its shareholders to support the Netflix transaction. Netflix has proposed paying $27.75 per share for Warner Bros’ studio and streaming businesses, a structure that includes spinning off the company’s cable television operations.

Paramount argues that its offer of $30 per share in cash for the entire company is clearly better for shareholders and more likely to pass regulatory scrutiny. In a letter to investors, Paramount said it would seek changes to Warner Bros’ bylaws that would require shareholder approval for any separation of the cable TV unit, a key element of the Netflix deal.

The dispute has now moved to court. Paramount filed a lawsuit in Delaware, asking judges to compel Warner Bros to disclose the financial analysis that led its board to support the Netflix merger. According to Paramount, this information is essential for shareholders who are deciding whether to tender their shares before Paramount’s offer expires on January 21.

Paramount also reiterated its view that the cable spinoff proposed under the Netflix deal has little value. Although the company has increased pressure through legal action, it has not raised its bid so far. Market analysts say a higher offer may be the only factor that ultimately changes the outcome.

Warner Bros has countered that walking away from the Netflix agreement would trigger a $2.8 billion termination fee and additional costs totaling about $4.7 billion. The Netflix-backed deal, the company says, remains the best option available.

Paramount’s amended proposal includes $40 billion in equity personally guaranteed by Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, David Ellison’s father, along with $54 billion in debt financing. Paramount insists that Warner Bros has avoided acknowledging that its cash offer is financially stronger than Netflix’s proposal.

In response to the lawsuit, Warner Bros called the claims baseless, stating that Paramount has failed to improve its price or fix what it described as major weaknesses in the bid. Netflix declined to comment on the latest developments.

Warner Bros shares slipped modestly, while Paramount stock edged higher, reflecting ongoing uncertainty as shareholders weigh their options in one of the entertainment industry’s most closely watched takeover battles.

Jan. 13, 2026 1:21 p.m. 334

#world news #Global News #Entertainment News

Most Americans Say Trump Profited Improperly, Poll Finds
Aug. 19, 2026 3:58 p.m.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll finds 63% of Americans call Trump crypto profits inappropriate, while 69% say business interests influence his decisions
Read More
BKE Accident: SBS Transit Bus Driver Among Three Hurt
Aug. 19, 2026 3:38 p.m.
Three people, including an SBS Transit bus driver, were taken to hospital after a multi-vehicle crash on the BKE in Singapore on Aug 19
Read More
RM1.74m Jewellery Stolen in Genting Highlands Heist
Aug. 19, 2026 3:30 p.m.
Three armed men robbed a goldsmith at SkyAvenue, Genting Highlands, stealing 81 jewellery pieces worth RM1.74 million before fleeing in a BMW
Read More
Pakistan SC Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer to Private Hospital
Aug. 19, 2026 3:18 p.m.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court has ordered Imran Khan’s transfer from jail to a private Islamabad hospital, citing concerns over his health and safety
Read More
Philippines School Shooting Leaves Student and Gunman Dead
Aug. 19, 2026 3:08 p.m.
A student shot and killed a classmate at a school in Zamboanga, Philippines, before taking his own life. Two others were injured in the attack
Read More
LandSpace Successfully Lands Zhuque-3 Rocket Booster in China
Aug. 19, 2026 1:14 p.m.
LandSpace successfully lands its Zhuque-3 booster, marking a major step for China’s reusable rocket technology and commercial space industry
Read More
Kuwait Customs Thwart Gold Smuggling Attempts by Two Indian Travelers
Aug. 19, 2026 12:50 p.m.
Kuwait Customs intercepted two Indian flyers to Ahmedabad, seizing 855g of 24-karat gold hidden in their accessories.
Read More
July Cargo Volume at Port of Los Angeles Hits Second-Highest Record
Aug. 19, 2026 11:38 a.m.
The Port of Los Angeles recorded 960,464 TEUs in July, driven by strong imports and rising consumer demand.
Read More
South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions
Aug. 19, 2026 11:23 a.m.
South Korea and the US have cut joint military drills from 11 days to five, reducing field training after Trump ordered a major US participation cut
Read More