Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Australia Mine Explosion Kills Two Workers in New South Wales

Australia Mine Explosion Kills Two Workers in New South Wales

Post by : Rameen Ariff

In a tragic turn of events, two workers have died following an underground explosion at a mine in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW). The Australia mine explosion occurred early Tuesday at the Endeavor mine in Cobar, about 700km northwest of Sydney. This marks the first deadly mine blast in Australia since 2015, making it one of the most devastating incidents in recent years.

According to police reports, emergency services rushed to the site after receiving calls that two people had been critically injured underground. A man in his 60s was declared dead at the scene of the Australia mine explosion, while two women in their 20s were rescued and brought to the surface. One of the women later succumbed to her injuries, while the other was airlifted to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries and shock.

The mine operator, Polymetals Resources, confirmed that all operations at the Endeavor mine have been temporarily suspended following the Australia mine explosion. Executive Chairman Dave Sproule said the company was “shocked and saddened by the tragic incident,” adding, “Our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to the employees’ families, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time.”

Authorities have yet to determine the cause of the explosion. A full investigation is now underway, led by the state’s workplace safety authority. Police are preparing a report for the coroner to establish the exact sequence of events leading to the Australia mine explosion.

Cobar Mayor Jarrod Marsden called it an “absolutely tragic” day for the community, noting that the town’s tight-knit mining families are deeply affected. “The most valuable thing to come out of a mine are the miners, and two families don’t get to see their loved ones anymore,” he said, expressing grief on behalf of the entire community.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns also offered his condolences, calling the incident “a heartbreaking day for the Cobar community and the entire mining industry.” He emphasized that while mining safety standards have improved over the years, the Australia mine explosion serves as a “sobering reminder of the constant need for vigilance to protect workers.”

The Endeavor mine, which has been a key source of silver, zinc, and lead since 1982, was acquired by Polymetals Resources in 2023. It had been preparing to restart full operations this year after a pause in 2020. The mine includes a 7km decline and a 300m shaft, making it one of the more complex mining structures in NSW.

Fatalities from mine explosions are rare in Australia, with the last recorded incident occurring in Queensland in 2015, according to Safe Work Australia. As investigations continue, the Australia mine explosion has reignited conversations about mine safety, emergency response readiness, and the importance of strict adherence to safety regulations in the mining industry.

The Cobar community, while mourning, has united in offering support to the families of the deceased — a reflection of Australia’s resilient mining spirit and the deep respect held for those who risk their lives to power the nation’s economy.

Oct. 28, 2025 1:15 p.m. 2140

#Global

China’s LandSpace Successfully Lands Reusable Zhuque-3 Booster
Aug. 20, 2026 1:02 p.m.
China’s LandSpace has successfully landed the Zhuque-3 rocket’s first stage, marking a major step for reusable rockets and low-cost commercial space launches
Read More
Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Leaves Over 100 Dead
Aug. 20, 2026 12:54 p.m.
More than 100 people have died after an artisanal gold mine collapsed in Zamboye, Central African Republic. Several miners remain missing or trapped
Read More
Congo Ebola Cases Cross 5,000 as Death Toll Rises
Aug. 20, 2026 12:47 p.m.
Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo have crossed 5,000, with 2,378 deaths reported as health authorities work to contain the deadly outbreak
Read More
Thai Schools Conduct Active Shooter Drills After Deadly Attack
Aug. 20, 2026 12:34 p.m.
Thai schools conduct active shooter drills and tighten security after a deadly attack, with students learning how to run, hide and respond to threats
Read More
Iran Labels California ‘New Territory’ in Trump Taunt
Aug. 20, 2026 12:01 p.m.
Iranian officials mocked Donald Trump after he called the Strait of Hormuz new US territory, highlighting California in a pointed social media response
Read More
Thailand Plans New Vehicle Tax Overhaul to Boost Local Production
Aug. 20, 2026 11:43 a.m.
Thailand plans to revise vehicle excise taxes, offering lower rates to automakers that invest locally, use Thai-made parts and build vehicles for export
Read More
NASA Swift Telescope Rescue Mission Fails as Satellite Nears Re-Entry
Aug. 20, 2026 11:14 a.m.
NASA’s $30 million mission to rescue the Swift space telescope has failed after the LINK spacecraft suffered control problems
Read More
Most Americans Say Trump Profited Improperly, Poll Finds
Aug. 19, 2026 3:58 p.m.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll finds 63% of Americans call Trump crypto profits inappropriate, while 69% say business interests influence his decisions
Read More
BKE Accident: SBS Transit Bus Driver Among Three Hurt
Aug. 19, 2026 3:38 p.m.
Three people, including an SBS Transit bus driver, were taken to hospital after a multi-vehicle crash on the BKE in Singapore on Aug 19
Read More